Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't Do This at Home: Play Lotto Like Hurley

I played the lotto for the first time in my 24 years of life this week.  I drove to work on Tuesday and my morning radio show told me about the Mega Millions lotto for $350mil... By the end of the day I had convinced myself that I would win... I had decided that I would buy $3 in lotto tickets - one with the numbers of my choosing, one randomly selected ticket, and one with the numbers that Hurley played in LOST.
So.. I drove home thinking about how I would spend my millions and got pretty excited to become a millionaire.  I told my mom about how I was going to build a house with a secret room behind a book shelf in the library and how I would keep my crappy Honda because that is unexpected or ironic or something that Alanis Morissett could write a song about... So my mom and I drove to Fred Meyer and filled out our tickets and went to buy them, but gasp!  The computer told us it was too late.  I will admit, I am a procrastinator, but it was 7:30 and the drawing was at 8:00!  I had a half hour!  I drove home thinking that it probably wasn't meant to be, but also about how devastated I would be if they drew numbers and I would have won.

Wanna know what numbers were drawn?  4, 8, 15, 25, 47 - 42 ...look familiar?
                                                                 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 - 42

I would have matched 4 out of 6! Mind you, that was only $150... but that's $150 that I don't have now!  I was pretty upset until someone reminded me that I probably wouldn't want to win with those numbers due to all the horrible things that happened to Hurley...


Hurley bought a sneaker factory that burned down killing it's workers - I wouldn't have had enough money to buy a factory... but I probably would have bought sneakers, and they probably would have burnt down and killed some factory workers or something...  Hurley also bought a fried chicken restaurant that was hit with a meteorite, I could have been hit by a meteorite! ...or eaten bad fried chicken!

I decided that I was okay with not getting my $150 with the 41,763 other people who played those numbers... could you imagine if those numbers hit the jackpot - 41,763 people would be really excited and then really upset when they realized that they had to split the pot and would only get about $9,000 each.

In this concluding paragraph I would like to point out that I wanted this post to be more amusing, but I am going to use the excuse that I have a headache to explain it's mediocrity.  Sorry about that. But maybe this will make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment