Monday, January 24, 2011

What Ever Happened to Miss Cleo?

The other day I was sitting around thinking about life and wishing that I knew of an 800 number to call where someone with a foreign accent would help me make decisions.  Then I remembered Miss Cleo.  Unfortunately she is not around for me to consult with on my current relationship issues, but I do remember her fondly.  If you were a child in the 90's, as I was, then you probably remember infomercials like these:

But what ever happened to Miss Cleo?  Is she still around? Did she go bankrupt?  Did she die?  And wouldn't she have seen all of that coming?

I decided to do a little research and hunt down Miss Cleo to find out whatever happened to her.  Fortunately for my short attention span that meant a brief trip to Wikipedia.

Miss Cleo was charged with fraudulent advertising and billing and being born in LA instead of Jamaica, so she took her $13.5million and started her own company in Florida where she will bless your house or perform your wedding ceremony or feed your cat while you're out of town.  Basically this story is a lot less anticlimactic than I had hoped for.

The most exciting thing that she has done since 2002 is create a slam poetry-esque CD titled Convicted for My Beliefs that consists only of spoken word.  As hard as I tried I couldn't find a sample or even a link to purchase the album, all I could find was an article interviewing Miss Cleo about her (epic) recordings.

I miss Miss Cleo.  Mostly I just wanted to write "miss Miss."

No comments:

Post a Comment